State of Minnesota Environmental Emergency Responder - Environmental Specialist 4 in Duluth, Minnesota
As an Environmental Emergency Responder,you will lead the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency's (MPCA) response to spill or environmental emergency situations; perform after hours on-call duties on a rotating schedule, operate within the Incident Command System (ICS) in emergency situations; oversee responsible party spill cleanups using the authority established under state and federal statutes; contract with and oversee contractors and consulting firms in emergency cleanups and investigations, using state funds; inspect and assess facilities and their spill prevention/preparedness compliance; and provide outreach and training to public or private parties as appropriate to improve spill prevention and preparedness.
Candidates must clearly demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Two (2) years of advanced professional-level experience (e.g. Environmental Specialist 3 or equivalent level) in environmental cleanup. Environmental experience must include investigation and cleanup of contaminated sites, collecting environmental samples, interpretation of environmental sampling data, and compliance/enforcement of environmental regulations.
- Strong communication skills sufficient to clearly communicate technical concepts to a wide variety of audiences (e.g. citizens, responsible parties, government staff, media).
- Advanced interpersonal skills to engage others to build strong working relationships and partnerships and to resolve potentially contentious, controversial, and complex environmental issues.
- Ability to makes sound decisions in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information, and under tight deadlines and pressure.
- Bachelor’s degree in soil science, geology, hydrology, environmental science or closely-related field.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing and understanding the Incident Command System and its principles.
- Knowledge of contaminated soil and water investigations, hazmat safety and response, toxicology, and cleanup remedies.
- Knowledge of federal and state laws relating to cleanup of waste, chemicals, and oil.
- Experience hiring, overseeing, and directing the work of contractors.
- Experience managing and coordinating environmental emergency responses.
- Experience training others.
Ability to occasionally move or transport equipment up to 25 pounds. May require moving or transporting equipment and traversing rough and uneven terrain.
A driver’s license is an essential function of this position. This requires possession of an unrestricted Class D Driver’s License. The job offer is contingent on confirmation of a valid driver’s license AND a satisfactory driver’s license record check.
Requires a Class D Driver's License: a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of less than 26,000 pounds. This is a basic driver's license. Operators may also tow vehicles/trailers as long as the gross combination weight does not exceed 26,000 pounds.
Why Work For Us
Our mission is to protect and improve the environment and human health. We work with many partners (citizens, communities, and businesses, all levels of government, environmental groups and educators) to prevent pollution, conserve resources, and to help ensure pollution does not have a disproportionate impact on any groups of people.
The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year. We emphasize work-life balance, and strive to have an inclusive workplace for everyone
How to Apply
Click "Apply" at the bottom of the page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go tohttp://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Patty Atchison at firstname.lastname@example.org
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email@example.com. Please indicate what assistance you need.
Job Title: Environmental Emergency Responder - Environmental Specialist 4
Job ID: 43237
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 01/08/2021
Closing Date: 01/25/2021
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Pollution Control Agency / Pollution Control-MAPE
Hiring Agency: Pollution Control Agency / Pollution Control-MAPE
Division/Unit: Operations Division/Emergency Mgmt Unit
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Hours: Day Shift
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
Days of Work: Monday - Friday
Travel Required: Yes - up to 25%
Salary Range: $27.56 - $40.61/hourly; $57,545 - $84,793/annually
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 214 - MN Assoc of Professional Empl/MAPE
Job Class: Environmental Specialist 4
Working Title: Environmental Emergency Responder