AMETEK, Inc. Plastics Development Engineer in Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Plastics Development Engineer
Functional Area:Application Engineering
Position Type:Full-Time Regular
Experience Required:7 - 10 Years
Hours of Work:
Location:US - Minnesota - Eden Prairie
Division:EMG - Engineered Medical Components
Education Required:Bachelors Degree
Email a FriendSaveSaveApply Now
Responsible for the design of plastic components and material selection to meet specific requirements for both performance and manufacturability. Conducts part analysis for molding, assembly, failure modes and effects, as well as meeting quality requirements to ensure part design is robust and manufacturable. Develops and executes qualification and validation activities.
As part of the Customer Focus Team, the Development Engineer is critical to the development of interconnect solutions for our customers and requires strong customer focus and interaction, much of which will be face-to-face at the customer’s location. We are looking for a motivated self-starter to help design and develop new products. The successful candidate will work closely with sales and the product development team to develop and introduce new products, as well as improve existing products.
Professional workplace behavior includes quality work, productive work, good attendance, and driving toward results which are achieved through good interaction skills, teamwork, flexibility, willingness to solve problems, and follows all policies and procedures.
Key Responsibilities Areas:
• This position’s responsibilities have aspects of design engineering, project management, and process engineering including validation and qualification activities.
• Responsible for the accuracy of technical information between customer & TSE. This is accomplished through partnership with other members of customer focus team.
• Initiates product development projects and partners with product team members and others to ensure robust design and smooth transfer to Manufacturing. Manages portion of projects initiated.
• Interacts with customer and develops one or more product concepts after completely understanding the customer’s performance requirements and intended use
• Assists TSE’s Account Mgrs and/or Sales Rep’s with presentations of proposals, technical data, test documentation, and other customer oriented requirements.
• Help manage customer - balances customer expectations/wants against customer needs and TSE capabilities/abilities - including issues associated with product development projects and continuous improvement projects.
• Helps manage TSE profitability through managing product development (including manufacturing processes required) and customer expectations
• B.S. Degree in Engineering or related field required
• Medical device industry experience is preferred
• Experience with plastics, injection molding, and plastics material selection is preferred
• Demonstrated ability to generate creative design solutions that are technically sound
• Ability to be self managed and to give and receive critical feedback
• Strong customer focus and interaction – strong interpersonal relationship/customer skills
• Exceptional communication skills (written and verbal) with emphasis on active listening, technical documentation, and team interaction
• Able to travel a minimum of 5% and a maximum of 25%
• Broad engineering abilities and understanding of electrical, mechanical, and mfg/industrial engineering disciplines (general understanding of each, with focus in one or more of these disciplines)
• A working knowledge of SolidWorks and/or ProE
• Wire, cable, and interconnect experience highly beneficial
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.